Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A pungent liquid organic acid which can be polymerized to make synthetic resins.
- ‘A modern synthetic paint, made with a resin derived from acrylic acid, that combines some of the properties of oils and water-colour.’
- ‘For example, plasma polymerisation of a small carboxylate-containing organic compound such as acrylic acid produces surfaces bearing carboxylic acid groups.’
- ‘Other monomers in the plurality include acrylic acid and methyl methacrylate.’
- ‘A process used to coat the inside of drinks cartons was adapted to deposit a thin film of acrylic acid polymer on to the discs.’
- ‘The researchers created the material by modifying existing hydrogels consisting of acrylic acid, acrylamide, and a polypyrrole/carbon black (Ppy / CB) composite.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.