One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colourless crystalline solid which readily forms water-soluble polymers.
The amide of acrylic acid; chemical formula: CH₂CHCONH₂
- ‘The gel is a thin slab of acrylamide polymerized between two glass plates.’
- ‘This amino acid could supply nitrogen, an ingredient of acrylamide, Mottram says.’
- ‘Recent reports about a chemical called acrylamide, found in carbohydrate-rich foods, may give some scientific credence to an uncooked diet.’
- ‘For the occupational toxicants acrylamide and 1,3-butadiene a genetic risk assessment was performed based on heritable translocation data.’
- ‘Further, for the case of acrylamide, the polymerization was roughly twice as fast under nitrogen as in air.’
Late 19th century: from acrylic + amide.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.