One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Abnormal growth of the hands, feet, and face, caused by overproduction of growth hormone by the pituitary gland.
- ‘Each of these patients had diseases known to predispose to heterotopic calcification including scleroderma, acromegaly, and diabetes mellitus.’
- ‘Other nonmalignant endocrine disorders with features of androgen excess include Cushing's syndrome, polycystic ovary syndrome, acromegaly and congenital adrenal hyperplasia.’
- ‘Octreotide also is given to decrease growth hormone secretion in acromegaly.’
- ‘Metabolic disturbances like ostereoporosis, rickets etc., are covered together with endocrine afflictions like acromegaly and hyperparathyroidism.’
- ‘Cushing recognized the states of hypopituitarism and hyperpituitarism, and he had a keen interest in acromegaly and dwarfism.’
Late 19th century: coined in French from Greek akron ‘tip, extremity’ + megas, megal- ‘great’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.