One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The most prestigious dialect or variety of a particular language.Contrasted with basilect
regional language, local language, local tongue, local speech, local parlance, variety of languageView synonyms
- ‘In Belize the basilect is what we call ‘broad Kriol’, the acrolect could be called Belizean English.’
- ‘If the acrolect has become so approximated to the standard, to the point that vowel classes are unmerged, then the reality must be that the unmerged acrolect has been there since the beginning.’
- ‘However, most of the previous sociolinguistic studies compare how basilects or vernaculars differ from acrolects, disregarding variation in mesolects.’
- ‘The acrolect is often European, reflecting the history of colonization, but this is not always the case.’
- ‘Basilects and acrolects require some form, but mesolects require none.’
1960s: from Greek akron ‘summit’ + -lect as in dialect.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.