Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A synthetic acrylic textile fibre.
- ‘Last summer the company added to this family of fibers by unveiling Acrilan, its most glamorous product.’
- ‘In the early 1960s, Smith was involved with acrylic synthetic fibers, particularly a combination of Acrilan and nylon fibers.’
- ‘We walk on nylon or Acrilan carpets that are startling in their similarity to wool.’
- ‘Club Colours offer a range of sweaters made with the highest quality Wool, Wool / Acrilan or Acrilan, and cable stitched to a full length.’
- ‘Fabrics made from Acrilan resist mildew, moths, and wrinkling.’
1950s: from acrylic + Latin lana wool.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.