One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The acridly sweet smell hit my nostrils and I felt like I had betrayed myself.’
- ‘I bet if my legs just happened to fall off, I probably wouldn't even notice, I thought acridly as I scrambled to retrieve my books.’
- ‘Howson has a studio on the top floor, a big, bright, airy space that smells acridly of institutional disinfectant.’
- ‘‘Well isn't this just great,’ she said acridly, ‘I'm stuck in a hole with someone who wants to kill me.’’
- ‘The following year he climbed Paricutin, a Mexican volcano, and distributed 450 pounds of bread along its acridly steaming rim.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.