Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A procedure in accounting in which the value of the assets of a company is changed from book to fair market level after a takeover.
- ‘Investor and analyst suspicion about acquisition accounting has dogged the company off and on for more than two years.’
- ‘Fraudulent accounting practices involving restructuring charges, reserves, creative acquisition accounting, and manipulation of GAAP are very difficult for outsiders to detect.’
- ‘Accounting and the state: Consequences of merger and acquisition accounting in the U.S. hospital industry’
- ‘The Securities and Exchange Commission recently completed an investigation focusing in part on the acquisition accounting practices of a California company.’
- ‘Accordingly, the directors have adopted reverse acquisition accounting as the basis of consolidation in order to give a true and fair view.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.