Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An act or instance of buying out a company primarily for the skills and expertise of its staff, rather than for the products or services it supplies.‘this would appear to be a straight acquihire to pick up an engineering and product design team’
- ‘Acquisitions for talent, or "acquihires," are also on the table, the company said.’
- ‘It turned out to be an acquihire and the ID team got spread out over Automattic's more pressing needs.’
- ‘Yahoo made another acquihire Wednesday.’
- ‘There have been a string of splashy acquisitions (the Dailymotion buyout, the Jybe acquihire, and then Summly).’
- ‘This was not a pure "acqhire" for the team alone.’
- ‘If she had not succeeded at creating a better vibe at the company, I'd argue that her ability to hire through acquihire would have been greatly lessened.’
- ‘This looks to be an actual, honest-to-god service acquisition, and not an acquihire for the engineering talent as has become so common in the Valley of late.’
- ‘Rather than stifling innovation, this acqhire might see a cool startup in the hands of new leaders passionate about disrupting the car buying experience.’
- ‘Are camera apps going to become a hotbed of acquihire and/or acquisition?’
- ‘The acquisition was indeed an acquihire.’
- ‘The acqhire is another example of how top-tier accelerators are becoming talent feeders for big tech companies.’
- ‘We should be happy that all the people there found a home through acquihire but not overstate the importance of the shutdown.’
Buy out (a company) primarily for the skills and expertise of its staff, rather than for its products or services.‘the start-ups are being acquihired in a bid to harvest their talent’
- ‘He joined in 2011, when the company acquihired his startup.’
- ‘We're still incredibly proud that the service continues to run two years after we were acquihired.’
- ‘If they have such great engineers and minds, why are they "acquiHiring?"’
- ‘When I spoke to the former CEO whose company was acquihired, he said there was a lot that Facebook could do in separate feeds for different content types.’
- ‘The most talented (or lucky) people get "acqhired" for $77 million each.’
- ‘While entrepreneurs don't start companies to be acquihired, you don't want to preclude yourself from that option.’
- ‘He views acquihiring as a way to infuse a growing company with much-needed talent and entrepreneurial vigour.’
- ‘It's powered by talent acqhired from a solar-powered drone maker as well as poached from NASA.’
Early 21st century: blend of acquisition and hire.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.