One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An expert in the branch of physics concerned with the properties of sound.
- ‘From the 1920s on, acousticians promoted fan-shaped concert halls, virtually free of reverberation.’
- ‘The practice is not taken seriously by acousticians and its effectiveness in reinforcing the voice remains a matter of conjecture.’
- ‘Chicago-based acoustician Larry Kirkegaard, who designed the sound at Tanglewood's Ozawa Hall, has been given top billing.’
- ‘Its new hall - built, at Rattle's demand, to the specifications of the world's foremost concert hall acoustician Russell Johnson - had the best sound in the land.’
- ‘Here, the famed Mayan pyramid of Kukulcan, or Quetzelcoatl, is known for the way the solstices and equinoxes are reflected in its stones, but professional acoustician David Lubman has observed another aspect to its design.’
- ‘A team of acousticians, psychologists, and musicians rigged a large pipe to produce 17 - Hz waves, which they played during selected contemporary music pieces being performed in a concert hall.’
- ‘Often, when acousticians look at a room, the audio spectrum is divided into five critical bands, with the goal of making the decay time consistent across this spectrum.’
- ‘Larry Kirkegaard, the chief acoustician for the Festival Hall, told The Times that the current acoustic experience was the equivalent of trying to speak while wearing headphones.’
- ‘The LeBlanc family set up the first full-time acoustical research laboratory for wind instruments in Paris and hired master acoustician Charles Houvenaghel.’
- ‘He's checking the work of the first consulting acoustician, who was hired to check the work of a company that has been designing ship interiors for 50 years.’
- ‘In May, the acoustician ran a sound test involving brass and percussion instruments.’
- ‘OC's 700 Series of glass fiber is a popular choice of acousticians because of its effectiveness, density and fire rating.’
- ‘It is the acoustician's job to establish and implement acoustic goals for the facility - goals that support the function, aesthetics and budget.’
- ‘You moved around and the instruments seemed to be coming from a live group…’ said architectural acoustician Dr. Leo L. Beranek.’
- ‘Soon after deciding to expand, Sloyer met studio designer / acoustician Martin Pilchner at an AES convention.’
- ‘Then I read this cool piece on Nature.com, in which acousticians have analyzed Mayan tombs and found that they were designed to produce incredibly weird sound effects.’
- ‘‘The intention is not to raise the sound level,’ said Lawrence Kirkegaard, the architectural acoustician who supervised the installation.’
- ‘Boto's Brett Thoeny collaborated with acoustician George Augspurger on the overall design.’
- ‘Working with acoustician Yasuhisa Toyota, the Gehry team constructed tenth-scale models of the hall to test sound performance.’
- ‘He was a mixer, a musician, a singer, swinger and night owl; a restless tinkerer; an instinctive acoustician and a chain-smoking tube amp visionary.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.