One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Damaged hearing suffered by the user of an earphone as a result of sudden excessive noise in the device.
- ‘Acoustic shock is a devastating 21st Century industrial injury ruining call centre workers' lives and costing industry millions.’
- ‘Some of Britain's biggest employers will attend a conference tomorrow aimed at increasing awareness of acoustic shock - caused by sudden, high-pitched noises from earpieces of telephone headsets.’
- ‘The company has already paid out 90,000 pounds to one worker suffering from acoustic shock.’
- ‘A consultant has documented 300 cases of acoustic shock and the problem is well known.’
- ‘The TUC launched a campaign on Call Centres and the issue of workers suffering acoustic shock has been highlighted in many Press reports.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.