Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ratio of the pressure over an imaginary surface in a sound wave to the rate of particle flow across the surface.
- ‘These invariably cause seismic waveform scattering and degeneration as a result of factors such as surface geometry and acoustic impedance contrasts through the lavas.’
- ‘The harmless waves are aimed at the part to be examined, and reflections are detected from tissue components in proportion to their acoustic impedance.’
- ‘Signal processing procedures have been developed that estimate acoustic impedance and compressional wave attenuation with depth beneath the sea floor.’
- ‘From the acquired measurements of sound speed and acoustic impedance, the important physical properties of in situ density and adiabatic compressibility could be calculated.’
- ‘Dipping energy of the strength portrayed by the ILP lines must represent parallel layers of contrasting acoustic impedance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.