Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The founder and leader of Acmeism, a modernist poetic school of the second decade of the last century, Gumilev drew on many Western models, particularly French ones.’
- ‘In 1911 she joined the Guild of Poets, the founders of Russian Acmeism, along with Gumilev and Mandelstam.’
- ‘Anna Akhmatova wrote during the Silver Age or Russian Literature, subscribing to the school of Acmeism, founded by her first husband, Nikolai Gumilev.’
- ‘Perhaps even less unified than Acmeism, Futurism sought to provoke and outrage.’
- ‘All items in this collection are connected with Symbolism, Acmeism, Futurism, and other movements of the aesthetic revival in Russia which began around 1890.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.