Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Recognized as being good or important:‘he's an acknowledged expert in the field’‘an acknowledged comedy genius’
- ‘She is recognised for her holistic commitment to an architectural vision through teaching and practice, as well her acknowledged expertise in areas such as the work of Alvar Aalto.’
- ‘Crowd scenes were always important in early cinema and Capra is an acknowledged master of this form of narrative technique.’
- ‘At the same time, rising prices for the generally acknowledged masters have placed them well beyond the range of the casual buyer.’
- ‘Suspense, of which Hitchcock remains the acknowledged master, is merely the form of cinema that focuses most self-consciously on this general truth of cinematic experience.’
- ‘Despite being the acknowledged leader of contemporary German realism Leibl had a greater reputation in France where he regularly exhibited at the Paris Salon.’
- ‘She is the sport's acknowledged New Zealand expert in terms of statistics, records and champions.’
- ‘These paintings clearly have precedence in date to the first abstracts of such acknowledged pioneers as Dove, Kandinsky, and Kupka.’
- ‘An acknowledged Paris expert, she is also the author of the Paris Entry to the Encarta Encylopaedia and contributes to radio, television and magazines.’
- ‘The acknowledged master of chiaroscuro was, of course, Rembrandt.’
- ‘Joe Donnelly's greatest love is twentieth-century design and the decorative arts, on which he is an acknowledged authority.’
- 1.1 Admitted or accepted as true, valid, or legitimate:‘Prince Louis's acknowledged heir’
- ‘Coverage of gender equality and equity issues is an important and integral part of the media's acknowledged role as a watchdog of society.’
- ‘Arbitrariness in land acquisition for the project is a widely acknowledged fact.’
- ‘It is an acknowledged fact that parents, especially mothers, play a very important role in a dancer's life.’
- ‘As handsets improve and wireless data networks grow faster, it's a generally acknowledged fact that the market for mobile gaming will grow to become massive before the end of the decade.’
- ‘Many top Russian officials have publicly acknowledged roles in private or state-run businesses.’
- ‘This is abundantly declared in their official documents and by their acknowledged representatives.’
- ‘To help with paperwork, grading, and simple communication among teachers and students, computers have an acknowledged place.’
- ‘Significantly lower antibiotic use by walk-in centres may reflect acknowledged difficulties identifying patients who will benefit from antibiotics.’
- ‘A law was passed in 1911 to make Charlotte Prince Louis' acknowledged heir and a member of the royal family.’
- ‘The Ramblers Association is the acknowledged representative of all walkers in Great Britain - urban and rural, energetic and slow, old and young.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.