One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- informal term for a.m.
- ‘In two days I am transferred at one in the ack emma to here.’
- ‘Their hours, which I strongly suspect to be irregular, are 10 in the pip emma to the same in the ack emma.’
- ‘I plan to spend ack emma hunting butterflies and pip emma reading my favorite American authors, Webster, Scudder, and Gray.’
- ‘On the other hand, I have a vision that this level of participation would involve an awful lot of bleary-eyed ol’ Dad having to stagger off to the pool at five ack emma.’
- ‘Friday night, 3 ack emma, Menna fell out of her bed onto the bedside table.’
Early 20th century: signallers' name for these letters.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.