One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small saclike cavity in a gland, surrounded by secretory cells.
bag, pouch, bladder, blisterView synonyms
- ‘The mass also contained cystic spaces lined by columnar epithelium, sebaceous glands, cartilage, smooth muscle, and pancreatic acini.’
- ‘The airway wall is composed of many interrelated structural components such as epithelium, connective tissue, vessels, muscle, and mucus-secreting gland acini.’
- ‘The lesion displayed unremarkable pancreatic lobules with acini, ducts, and islets of Langerhans cells.’
- ‘Small residual ducts and islands of intact salivary gland acini predominantly composed of serous-type glandular epithelium were present.’
- ‘In cases with moderate or advanced changes, marked immunoreactivity was observed in the interlobular area and in the area surrounding both the acini and intralobular ducts.’
2A region of the lung supplied with air from one of the terminal bronchioles.
- ‘A spectrum of airborne organic particulate matter, appropriately sized to reach pulmonary acini, produces this disease.’
- ‘Panlobular emphysema, also referred to as panacinar emphysema, affects the acinus of the entire secondary lobule.’
- ‘Primary bronchiolar disorders are separated from diseases primarily affecting more distal components of the pulmonary acinus and large airway diseases in which prominent secondary bronchiolar changes may be seen.’
- ‘Emphysema is classified into three subtypes based on the portion of the acinus that is involved.’
- ‘The acinus or primary pulmonary lobule (the basic unit of gas exchange) consists of one terminal bronchiole, two to five generations of respiratory bronchioles, alveolar ducts, alveolar sacs, and alveoli.’
Mid 18th century: Latin, literally ‘a kernel’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.