Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An excessively acid condition of the body fluids or tissues.
- ‘The urine ketone dip test was highly sensitive for diabetic ketoacidosis and diabetic ketosis with or without acidosis.’
- ‘She had the respiratory distress and metabolic acidosis of severe malaria, and needed blood urgently.’
- ‘Arterial blood gas analysis should be performed to exclude hypoxia and acidosis as contributors to pulmonary hypertension.’
- ‘Lactic acidosis, rhabdomyolysis, and multiple organ dysfunction syndromes can complicate this disease.’
- ‘Illnesses include ailments resulting from mineral deposition caused by acidosis, arthritis, and arteriosclerosis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.