One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bacterium that is used to make yogurt and to supplement the intestinal flora.
Lactobacillus acidophilus; a Gram-positive rod-shaped bacterium
- ‘In the United States, Lactobacillus acidophilus is the probiotic that shows up most often in dairy products.’
- ‘The most effective probiotic supplements contain L. acidophilus and B. bifidus and should be refrigerated.’
- ‘The dose was one cup daily of yogurt with live Lactobacillus acidophilus cultures.’
- ‘Your main defense against them is billions of acidophilus bacteria, your ‘good’ intestinal flora.’
- ‘Look for a brand that contains six to eight strains of live organisms, including Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacter.’
- ‘Probiotic foods contain bacteria such as Lactobacillus acidophilus or Bifidobacterium, bacteria that are thought to be capable of surviving digestion, and of being introduced into the large intestine.’
- ‘Eating plain yogurt with live bacteria cultures daily and taking garlic and acidophilus supplements can fend off future infections.’
- ‘The addition of Lactobacillus bifidus and Lactobacillus acidophilus to the diet supports flora colonization.’
- ‘However, certain bacteria - including the yogurt-dwelling L. acidophilus - are, in fact, good.’
- ‘In my practice, I find that most bloated stomachs are caused by ‘bad’ bacteria in the gut, which you can combat by having a small pot a day of live natural yoghurt containing the probiotic bacteria lactobacilli, bifidus or acidophilus.’
- ‘Another way to introduce friendly bacteria is by eating yogurt, which contains Lactobacillus acidophilus.’
- ‘We should all get into the habit of including yoghurt in our diet, especially organic yoghurt, and ideally also containing acidophilus, bifidus or lactobacillus bacteria to help keep your gut's bacterial balance in top form.’
- ‘When my digestion was upset by the changing diet, she offered white rice and carrots to settle my stomach and pro-biotic supplements like acidophilus.’
- ‘Acidophilus milk is a kind of soured milk which contains a culture of Lactobacillus acidophilus.’
- ‘For instance, Lactobacillus acidophilus - a harmless bacterium that resides in your intestines - helps you digest food, destroys some disease-causing organisms and provides nutrients to your body.’
- ‘One commonly known probiotic, Lactobacillus acidophilus, is naturally present in foods such as yogurt, grains, and meat products.’
- ‘Eat yogurt that contains live, active cultures of Lactobacillus acidophilus, which prevent yeast from multiplying.’
- ‘The use of Lactobacillus acidophilus and other probiotic bacteria to maintain intestinal health and good digestion is on the rise.’
- ‘L. acidophilus bacteria produce lactase in the gut, aiding in the digestion of dairy products.’
- ‘A second study showed no difference in infection rates between women who ingested pasteurized yogurt and women who ingested yogurt that contained L. acidophilus.’
1920s: modern Latin, literally ‘acid-loving’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.