Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bacterium that is used to make yogurt and to supplement the intestinal flora.
- ‘For instance, Lactobacillus acidophilus - a harmless bacterium that resides in your intestines - helps you digest food, destroys some disease-causing organisms and provides nutrients to your body.’
- ‘One commonly known probiotic, Lactobacillus acidophilus, is naturally present in foods such as yogurt, grains, and meat products.’
- ‘However, certain bacteria - including the yogurt-dwelling L. acidophilus - are, in fact, good.’
- ‘Another way to introduce friendly bacteria is by eating yogurt, which contains Lactobacillus acidophilus.’
- ‘Eating plain yogurt with live bacteria cultures daily and taking garlic and acidophilus supplements can fend off future infections.’
- ‘In the United States, Lactobacillus acidophilus is the probiotic that shows up most often in dairy products.’
- ‘When my digestion was upset by the changing diet, she offered white rice and carrots to settle my stomach and pro-biotic supplements like acidophilus.’
- ‘We should all get into the habit of including yoghurt in our diet, especially organic yoghurt, and ideally also containing acidophilus, bifidus or lactobacillus bacteria to help keep your gut's bacterial balance in top form.’
- ‘Look for a brand that contains six to eight strains of live organisms, including Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacter.’
- ‘The most effective probiotic supplements contain L. acidophilus and B. bifidus and should be refrigerated.’
- ‘A second study showed no difference in infection rates between women who ingested pasteurized yogurt and women who ingested yogurt that contained L. acidophilus.’
- ‘Probiotic foods contain bacteria such as Lactobacillus acidophilus or Bifidobacterium, bacteria that are thought to be capable of surviving digestion, and of being introduced into the large intestine.’
- ‘The use of Lactobacillus acidophilus and other probiotic bacteria to maintain intestinal health and good digestion is on the rise.’
- ‘The dose was one cup daily of yogurt with live Lactobacillus acidophilus cultures.’
- ‘In my practice, I find that most bloated stomachs are caused by ‘bad’ bacteria in the gut, which you can combat by having a small pot a day of live natural yoghurt containing the probiotic bacteria lactobacilli, bifidus or acidophilus.’
- ‘Eat yogurt that contains live, active cultures of Lactobacillus acidophilus, which prevent yeast from multiplying.’
- ‘Acidophilus milk is a kind of soured milk which contains a culture of Lactobacillus acidophilus.’
- ‘Your main defense against them is billions of acidophilus bacteria, your ‘good’ intestinal flora.’
- ‘The addition of Lactobacillus bifidus and Lactobacillus acidophilus to the diet supports flora colonization.’
- ‘L. acidophilus bacteria produce lactase in the gut, aiding in the digestion of dairy products.’
1920s: modern Latin, literally ‘acid-loving’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.