Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make or become acid.with object ‘pollutants can acidify surface water’
- ‘If you irrigate, and your water is also alkaline, acidify it with 2 teaspoons of vinegar per gallon of water.’
- ‘If you must plant a pin oak in an alkaline environment, acidify the soil before planting.’
- ‘One of the new studies finds that the increase in carbon dioxide (to which temperature rises have been mainly attributed) is also having a previously unpredicted impact in acidifying the world's oceans.’
- ‘The reaction mixture was poured onto water, acidified and extracted with ethyl acetate.’
- ‘The supernatant was collected and the sediment suspended in a double volume of water, acidified and centrifuged.’
- ‘In contrast to cereals or other crops, legumes are known to acidify the rhizosphere even when supplied with nitrates.’
- ‘Lactic acid acidifies crop contents, making them less conducive to bacterial growth.’
- ‘International shipping may be one of the largest sources of air pollutants along the Norwegian coast and in the Northern Atlantic, forming ground-level ozone and acidifying shorelines, according to Norwegian researchers.’
- ‘Therefore, regions where this form of rock is present are especially sensitive to the effects of acid rain, and lakes in these areas become acidified very quickly.’
- ‘Bleach doesn't acidify water, but it does kill bacteria.’
- ‘Sulfur dioxide creates a haze of pollution that cripples people and acidifies lakes.’
- ‘If they are to be canned as acid foods, these products must be acidified to a pH of 4.6 or lower with lemon juice or citric acid.’
- ‘This might have generated enough debris to block out sunlight and trigger an ice age, enough sulfuric acid to acidify the oceans, and/or enough carbon dioxide to cause global warming by a greenhouse effect.’
- ‘To acidify soil, sprinkle two tablespoons of aluminum phosphate or sulfur around the shrubs in early fall.’
- ‘They keep the excess nitrogen from acidifying the upper soil horizons.’
- ‘To acidify alkaline soils, mix in peat or acid fertilizer periodically.’
- ‘Malic acid is available commercially for use in acidifying foods and beverages and in numerous industrial processes.’
- ‘Scientists know that carbon dioxide is warming the atmosphere, which in turn is causing sea level to rise, and that the CO 2 absorbed by the oceans is acidifying the water.’
- ‘Israeli researchers at the Weizman Institute of Science and Tel Aviv University have discovered that cranberries do much more than slightly acidifying urine.’
- ‘It is the hydrogen ion component that is toxic, affecting cell membranes, acidifying substrata, and leaching metals like calcium.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.