Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The most-important chemical effects of the air pollution are acidification of soil and fresh water, which in turn causes a solubilization of toxic metals.’
- ‘Acid rain falling back on Earth causes acidification of lakes and streams and contributes to damage of trees at high elevations.’
- ‘The nutrient solution was changed every week to limit the acidification, and was oxygenated by an aquarium pump.’
- ‘As the enzymes drive acidification and also coagulate the milk, cheese flavor begins naturally developing.’
- ‘Thus, prevention of nitrate leaching is an important step towards minimizing soil acidification.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.