One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rainfall made so acidic by atmospheric pollution that it causes environmental harm, chiefly to forests and lakes. The main cause is the industrial burning of coal and other fossil fuels, the waste gases from which contain sulphur and nitrogen oxides which combine with atmospheric water to form acids.
- ‘Unlike burning coal or oil, wave and wind machines do not spew sulphur and cause acid rain.’
- ‘When the fuel is burnt, toxic gases such as sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide are given off, which combine with water in the air to form acid rain.’
- ‘Other aviation gases include hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxide, which contribute to acid rain.’
- ‘Wind energy doesn't produce sulfur dioxide or nitrous oxides that cause acid rain, and it does not disrupt the Earth's climate.’
- ‘Trees also clear the air of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide, two major components of acid rain and ozone pollution.’
- ‘The products work by creating a seal over the car's paintwork, protecting it from fading caused by ultraviolet radiation, road salts, pollution and acid rain.’
- ‘One industrial application of acid-base titration is in the attempt to overcome the damage from acid rain and related air pollution.’
- ‘Transport is a major source of two of the constituents of acid rain, namely sulphur dioxide and nitrous oxides.’
- ‘Nitrogen and sulphur emissions cause acid rain which can wipe out populations of fish.’
- ‘Ever the sceptic, the author claims that all the money and resources that have been applied to the study of toxic pollutants and acid rain, global warming and dying reefs, are a total waste.’
- ‘National levels of ozone and soot are down, as are emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrous oxide, key components of smog and acid rain.’
- ‘The city children got a chance to be in the country and become aware of the watershed system, acid rain and pollution.’
- ‘In view of the volatile economic situation in the region it is difficult to make reliable predictions regarding the extent of acid rain and associated air pollution problems in the future.’
- ‘Pollution from coal plants is also a main cause of acid rain and is one of the largest sources of carbon dioxide emissions, which cause global warming.’
- ‘Power generated from fossil fuels causes smog, mercury pollution, acid rain and global warming.’
- ‘Global environmental issues like acid rain, ozone depletion, and climate change are relatively recent phenomena.’
- ‘Coal is the most polluting fuel in our energy mix contributing, among other things, to smog, acid rain and global warming.’
- ‘Lau said it would require a forest 58 times the size of Hong Kong to soak up the city's carbon dioxide wastes, and that the sulphur dioxide would create acid rain.’
- ‘Burning fuel doesn't just make the air dirty; it also contributes to acid rain, global warming, even asthma.’
- ‘Levels of sulphur dioxide, a major source of acid rain, have declined over recent years, but pollutants causing eutrophication have been increasing.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.