One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of popular dance music incorporating elements of jazz, funk, soul, and hip-hop.as modifier ‘the acid jazz scene in Chicago’
- ‘In the beginning of the '90s, I was doing techno, house, acid jazz, breakbeat and, yes, even trance.’
- ‘I think a lot of those guys in England were playing acid jazz before they were playing funk, and that's definitely a handicap..’
- ‘The band is one of the most evident representatives of British acid jazz, combining elements of jazz, funk and Brazilian samba, but they do not have a regular line-up of members.’
- ‘This San Francisco quartet has been making tidal waves in the West Coast acid jazz scene for years.’
- ‘From swing, acid jazz and bossa nova to hip hop and jazz rock, the music sometimes has a 1940s sound, while at other times it seems extremely modern.’
- ‘In the past the group has attempted to crossover from the doggedly hardcore acid jazz scene to a more mainstream audience; augmenting their sound with horns, big name soul vocalists, lush strings and complicated production.’
- ‘I listen to a whole range of things, from house to garage to acid jazz and traditional jazz, especially John Coltrane and Miles Davis.’
- ‘Just listen to a hypnotic, regular, repetitively rhythmic music - acid jazz or progressive trance or such.’
- ‘It makes for a fusion of acid jazz, hip-hop and a touch of soul which induces the laid-back appeal of the West coast.’
- ‘The birth in 1987 of acid jazz marked another peak in the history of British jazz; the early Nineties saw another low as jazz was again branded seriously un-cool.’
- ‘In each case, the female vocalist is up front, and the bed of multiplicitous beats incorporates downtempo, acid jazz, nu jazz and house.’
- ‘In fact, this stylish bar is positively designed for conversation, with low key house music or acid jazz gently playing in the background and large 1960s-style booths to encourage small groups to combine into larger ones.’
- ‘The music is soft, annoying ambient / acid jazz garbage designed to give the restaurant an element of ‘space.’’
- ‘Officially, it's known as live progressive breakbeat house, but there are also elements of drum ‘n bass, ambient, dub, trip hop, acid jazz and so on.’
- ‘It was too long, and the music was bland acid jazz.’
- ‘It's an inventive, cinematic exploration of hip-hop, its party-girl cousin trip hop, acid jazz and retro funk grooves.’
- ‘Everything from tribal sounds, acid jazz, trip hop, and drone rock can be heard throughout the three albums.’
- ‘Thursday night is one of its better party nights, complete with big break beats mixed with acid jazz.’
- ‘The disc is full of salsa, trip-hop, acid jazz, calypso and reggae beats.’
- ‘Music runs from funky flamenco to lively acid jazz, and the sheer glamour of the design will make you think you're in a movie.’
Apparently coined from acid house and popularized by the Acid Jazz record label founded in 1988.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.