Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting bacteria that cannot be decolorized by an acid after staining, which is characteristic of the mycobacteria that cause tuberculosis and leprosy.
- ‘Cultures of right and left lung tissues were obtained for bacteria, acid-fast bacilli, and fungi.’
- ‘Stains and cultures of bronchial washings were negative for Pneumocystis, acid-fast bacilli, fungi, bacteria, and viruses.’
- ‘Special stains for fungus and acid-fast bacteria are negative, although culture is the more definitive diagnostic test.’
- ‘In all patients with suspected active disease, three sputum samples for mycobacterial acid-fast stain examination and Mycobacterium tuberculosis cultures should be collected on each of three consecutive days.’
- ‘Special stains were negative for acid-fast bacilli, fungal forms, Pneumocystis, and other bacteria.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.