One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting bacteria that cannot be decolorized by an acid after staining, which is characteristic of the mycobacteria that cause tuberculosis and leprosy.
- ‘Cultures of right and left lung tissues were obtained for bacteria, acid-fast bacilli, and fungi.’
- ‘Special stains for fungus and acid-fast bacteria are negative, although culture is the more definitive diagnostic test.’
- ‘Stains and cultures of bronchial washings were negative for Pneumocystis, acid-fast bacilli, fungi, bacteria, and viruses.’
- ‘Special stains were negative for acid-fast bacilli, fungal forms, Pneumocystis, and other bacteria.’
- ‘In all patients with suspected active disease, three sputum samples for mycobacterial acid-fast stain examination and Mycobacterium tuberculosis cultures should be collected on each of three consecutive days.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.