Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having no colour except black, white, or shades of grey.‘an achromic area of skin’
uncoloured, white, bleached, faded, washed outView synonyms
- ‘In place of the scaly discs there remained clear blotches of an achromic appearance.’
- ‘Patients can also have plaque-like hematomas and achromic patches on the retina.’
- ‘An achromic halo was obvious around the primary melanoma.’
- ‘The lesions consisted of round achromic patches of two to three centimeters in diameter.’
- ‘Her face turned an achromic color, as if she had seen a ghost.’
Mid 18th century: from a- + Greek khrōma colour.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.