One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having no colour except black, white, or shades of grey.‘an achromic area of skin’
uncoloured, white, bleached, faded, washed outView synonyms
- ‘Her face turned an achromic color, as if she had seen a ghost.’
- ‘The lesions consisted of round achromic patches of two to three centimeters in diameter.’
- ‘In place of the scaly discs there remained clear blotches of an achromic appearance.’
- ‘Patients can also have plaque-like hematomas and achromic patches on the retina.’
- ‘An achromic halo was obvious around the primary melanoma.’
Mid 18th century: from a- + Greek khrōma ‘colour’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.