One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A knee-length coat buttoned in front, worn by men from South Asia.
- ‘On formal occasions, the kurta is replaced by an achkan or sherwani, a long coat that buttons up to the neck.’
- ‘The choga, sherwani, achkan, jama and phiran are Kashmiri traditional costumes and heavily embroidered sometimes with zari on special occasions.’
- ‘He wore a black achkan and a red fez with a black tassel, and was amazingly dignified.’
- ‘The only tell-tale sign of the politician was the kurta and achkan but it was easy to envision him in a three-piece suit.’
- ‘Sporting a white flowing beard, clad in traditional achkan and topi, he walked into my house.’
From Hindi ackan.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.