One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A knee-length coat buttoned in front, worn by men from South Asia.
- ‘He wore a black achkan and a red fez with a black tassel, and was amazingly dignified.’
- ‘On formal occasions, the kurta is replaced by an achkan or sherwani, a long coat that buttons up to the neck.’
- ‘The choga, sherwani, achkan, jama and phiran are Kashmiri traditional costumes and heavily embroidered sometimes with zari on special occasions.’
- ‘Sporting a white flowing beard, clad in traditional achkan and topi, he walked into my house.’
- ‘The only tell-tale sign of the politician was the kurta and achkan but it was easy to envision him in a three-piece suit.’
From Hindi ackan.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.