One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for annatto
- ‘Mexican achiote, ground to a paste ready for use, is imported to the USA.’
- ‘The delicious rice is reddened with achiote and redolent of olive oil.’
- ‘Saute in butter one finely chopped onion, paprika (or achiote if you can find it) and cayenne.’
- ‘Heat the oil in large saucepan and add the achiote.’
- ‘The first product in Bolivia to earn organic certification from Bio Latina, achiote provides an ecologically-safe alternative to synthetically-produced dye.’
Mid 17th century: from Spanish, from Nahuatl achiotl.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.