Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for annatto
- ‘Heat the oil in large saucepan and add the achiote.’
- ‘The first product in Bolivia to earn organic certification from Bio Latina, achiote provides an ecologically-safe alternative to synthetically-produced dye.’
- ‘Mexican achiote, ground to a paste ready for use, is imported to the USA.’
- ‘The delicious rice is reddened with achiote and redolent of olive oil.’
- ‘Saute in butter one finely chopped onion, paprika (or achiote if you can find it) and cayenne.’
Mid 17th century: from Spanish, from Nahuatl achiotl.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.