Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The tendon connecting calf muscles to the heel.
- ‘At the end of the two weeks he sustained a full rupture of both Achilles tendons when he crouched down to put a video in his machine.’
- ‘This combination will challenge your balance, firm the glutes and thighs, and stretch the Achilles tendons and shin muscles.’
- ‘Small lumps, called rheumatoid nodules, may form under your skin at pressure points, and can occur at your elbows, hands, feet and Achilles tendons.’
- ‘Poor training routines can contribute to soft tissue injuries such as those to Achilles tendons, hamstrings and calf and adductor muscles.’
- ‘This is especially true if the rupture is in the Achilles tendon, the tendon just above the heel.’
- ‘Ankle and ligament damage is also common, as well as Achilles tendon rupture and calf tendon tears.’
- ‘The following year she was favourite to take world championships gold in Athens but left the track in tears after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon and a torn calf muscle.’
- ‘But he severely strained his Achilles tendons when the staff exercised him too hard.’
- ‘Painful Achilles tendon is a syndrome that can affect people of all ages and activity levels.’
- ‘Lower your heels at a slow to moderate speed until you feel a strong stretch in your Achilles tendons and calf muscles.’
- ‘One of every six players studied was playing with ongoing pain in the Achilles tendon region, most often in the midportion of the tendon.’
- ‘Now repeatedly raise and lower your heels for a strong stretch of the calves and Achilles tendons.’
- ‘The second patient sustained a heavy blow to the Achilles tendon from a falling metal bar 10 weeks after the initial trauma.’
- ‘As in other conditions with the Achilles tendon, it is frequently aggravated by hill running and interval training.’
- ‘A common sprain injury is a torn Achilles tendon, which connects the calf muscles to the heel.’
- ‘Think of a runner with tight calf muscles and a tight Achilles tendon running up a hill.’
- ‘You'll also need to stretch the major muscle groups used for dancing, including your hamstrings and Achilles tendons.’
- ‘Tearing of tendons is rare, because their breaking strength is high, but the Achilles tendon for example is sometimes the victim of sports injury.’
- ‘Wearing high heels may lead to contracture of the Achilles tendon leading to tendon problems behind the heel and also pain under the heel.’
- ‘Thickening of the Achilles tendon following an operation has been widely reported.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.