Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting the main Lower Palaeolithic culture in Europe (preceding the Mousterian) and a similar culture in Africa. It is represented by hand-axe industries, which are dated as a whole to about 1,500,000–150,000 years ago.See also abbevillian
- ‘The earliest hominid tools that appear to be part of a standardized tool-making tradition were discovered in the same region: hand axes related to the Acheulean culture.’
- ‘These people are best represented by their distinctive pear-shaped flint or stone handaxes, so-called Acheulian handaxes, of which several thousand have been found in Britain to date.’
- ‘It is here also that pear-shaped bifacially worked handaxes that have come to characterize an Acheulean tradition now recognized throughout Africa and the Old World have been found in considerable quantity.’
- ‘Colonizations at this later time were range expansions that may reflect the adaptive changes in human populations marked by the Acheulean industry, which first appears abruptly in eastern Africa some 1.4 MYA.’
- ‘The Grotte du Lazaret has been known since the early C19; recent scientific excavations there have produced the vestigial remains of an Acheulean shelter, along with abundant stone tools and food remains.’
- 1.1The Acheulian culture or period.
Early 20th century: from French Acheuléen, from St-Acheul near Amiens in northern France, where objects from this culture were found.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.