Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(in South Asia) a Hindu or Buddhist spiritual teacher or leader.
spiritual teacher, teacher, tutor, sage, counsellor, mentor, guiding light, spiritual leader, leader, masterView synonyms
- ‘In the four authorized sampradayas, the acharyas have compiled Deity worship manuals based on these Pancharatra books.’
- ‘As explained by Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, Sri Krishna has His eternal, blissful form that is full of knowledge, and all Vaishnava acharyas accept this.’
- ‘Elephants and horses have been replaced now by tractors and wagons decked with flowers and a throne for each acharya and a few of his followers.’
- ‘Such an acharya, or spiritual master, should be considered nondifferent from Krishna - that is, he should be considered the incarnation of Lord Krishna's potency.’
- ‘Vaishnava acharyas, specifically Lord Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, led the people on the path towards a realization of going back to Godhead.’
- ‘The acharya of sthapaka, was Sri Thanga Bhattar, former chief priest of the Meenakshi temple in Madurai, who had come from Thailand where he had presided over another temple opening.’
- ‘A unique eleventh-century image of four-faced Brahma seated as acharya for the wedding of Siva and Uma comes from the Asia Society Gallery in New York.’
- ‘There are other commentaries by vaishnava acharyas.’
- ‘Approximately 20 shastris and acharyas graduate from the Vedarsh Mahavidyalaya every year.’
- ‘Krishnaa looked at Acharya Kripa and the acharya sat with his eyes fixed at his feet.’
- ‘But the acharya in his magnanimity accepts him and teaches him all he knows.’
- ‘Sri Chaitanya also empowered other great acharyas and their unlimited followers, who were also transcendental poets, to perceive the Rasa Tattva through Gaura-lila and to perceive Rasa Tattva through Krishna kirtan.’
- ‘It could as well have been a Muslim moulana or a Hindu acharya.’
- ‘Actor, Babu Antony's brother, Thampy Antony, plays the role of the Ayurveda acharya and the American actor, Stan Christensen, comes as the U.S. doctor.’
- ‘One satguru would be followed by the next satguru, swamis and acharyas by more swamis and acharyas, devoted families by more devoted families, generation after generation.’
- ‘It was Swami Chinmayananda who was among the first acharyas to popularise the Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads throughout India and abroad through discourses.’
- ‘Even the Ayurvedic acharyas prescribe the chanting of the Vishnu Sahasranamam for getting the physical-oral-psychological peacefulness and for curing diseases.’
- ‘‘We are trying to know the treasures of ancient Indian scriptures and translate them,’ says the resident acharya at the centre, Swami Advayananda.’
- ‘Quoting the ‘Ashtangahrudaya,’ the acharya says the malady is nothing but divine retribution for the sins the patient had committed in his past life.’
- ‘Considering this, the acharya began worshiping the Lord.’
- 1.1 An influential mentor.
Early 19th century: from Sanskrit ācārya ‘master, teacher’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.