Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A compound which occurs throughout the nervous system, in which it functions as a neurotransmitter.
- ‘All nerve agents act by inhibiting the enzyme acetylcholinesterase, which breaks down the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.’
- ‘However, acetylcholine, the first neurotransmitter to be identified, was not isolated until the early 1920s.’
- ‘Possible modulators of growth include acetylcholine, dopamine, vasoactive intestinal polypeptide, and glucagon.’
- ‘In someone with Alzheimer's, cholinesterase breaks down and destroys acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter chemical.’
- ‘The action of a common neurotransmitter, such as acetylcholine, illustrates how ion channel receptors work.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.