Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The acetylation of salicylic acid increased the potency of morphine by making the compound more soluble in brain fat and facilitating transfer across the blood brain barrier.’
- ‘Slowly, as researchers learned more about the structure of histones, it became evident that patterns of acetylation and methylation could be quite precise.’
- ‘This effect is consistent with the expected large reduction in electron density on the amino nitrogen upon acetylation thus making coordination with copper much less strong.’
- ‘Important mechanisms for epigenetic alteration of gene expression include DNA methylation and histone acetylation.’
- ‘From a dynamic point of view, histone-tail modifications, such as acetylation, phosphorylation, or methylation, are necessary to allow the activity of the chromatin remodeling complex.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.