One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier Of or denoting the acyl radical —C(O)CH₃, derived from acetic acid.‘acetyl chloride’‘an acetyl group’
- ‘The footnote also stated that Hoffmann had arranged for several chemical derivatives of salicylic acid to be examined, not just its acetyl ester.’
- ‘An acetyl group was attached to residue 22 to mimic the preceding peptide bond and the C-terminal carboxylate was protonated.’
- ‘Oxaloacetate plus the acetyl group form the six-carbon citric acid, or citrate.’
- ‘It is possible that this procedure with weak acetic acid may have converted naturally occurring salicylate to the acetyl form, that is aspirin itself.’
- ‘The company points to a Harvard research study that shows the plasticizer used - acetyl tributyl citrate - does not cause any health problems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.