One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The anhydride of acetic acid, a colourless pungent liquid used in making synthetic fibres.
- ‘Thailand has vowed to control the movement of chemicals used in the production of amphetamines and heroin, including acetic anhydride and chloroform.’
- ‘Second, the alkaloid is refluxed with acetic anhydride for about five hours.’
- ‘Nitration with nitric acid alone, or in combination with acetic acid, acetic anhydride, or sulfuric acid, are common examples of adding nitro functional groups to aromatic hydrocarbons.’
- ‘Opium is turned into heroin through a refining process that requires the application of acetic anhydride, a chemical agent manufactured in Europe, Mexico and the US.’
- ‘Following additional washes with PBT, the slides were treated for 10 min with acetic anhydride and triethanolamine-HCl to reduce background.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.