One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Eurasian or North American deciduous tree or shrub of a genus which includes the maples and the European sycamore.
Genus Acer, family Aceraceae: numerous species
- ‘But watch out for too much of a good thing: The seeds of acer rubrum do not require pregermination treatment and so can germinate immediately after ripening - even if they are only sitting in the mulch layer on the surface of the soil.’
- ‘Some of the acers turn magnificently this month with lowering temperatures turning the dark green foliage of red maple, Acer rubrum, to glowing red and the leaves of Acer capillipes from bright green to hues of rich scarlet and orange.’
- ‘I need to do something delicate and gentle around the acer; it outgrew its allotted space this summer and suffered because of it.’
- ‘The trees include willow, cherry, poplar, acers, larch, ash, birch, sycamore, elder and sitka spruce.’
- ‘Six acres of grounds with herbaceous plants, shrubs, climbers and trees including cedars, wellingtonias, acers, oaks and rhododendrons, wild flower walk and terraced lawns leading to a series of lakes.’
- ‘When they arrived, the 100 ft-long rockery was smothered by undergrowth and the Japanese acers were invisible to the eye.’
- ‘Anyway, Dolly was busy behind the acer tree, rootling about and grunting a lot, determined that, if any rodent life had materialised over-night then it was very shortly going to become rodent un-life.’
- ‘He preserved his dignity to the last, rushing off to the far corner to rummage in the dark behind the acer, pretending he was on a hot mouse prospect.’
- ‘‘It does have the Japanese plants, though,’ she says, including camellias, acers, azaleas and ferns.’
- ‘The beds are planted with a wide range of trees and shrubs, including acers, camellias, rhododendrons, oaks and beeches, beneath which grow choice perennials and bulbs.’
- ‘The plants here are evergreens such as fatsias, which thrive in the relatively low levels of light, and an acer in a large pot.’
- ‘More than 26,000 people made the trip to inspect the acers and aspidistras at what is fast becoming one of the best, and best-loved, horticultural events in the North of England.’
- ‘I'm going for Astilbe, Hosta, Iris and Primula, with a small acer to add dappled shade.’
- ‘Pat Gibbons, specialist acer grower, from Hippopottering Nursery at East Lound, Haxey, Doncaster, was hoping to catch the public's eye in the Great Pavilion with a new pink variety, Acer Palmatium Taylor.’
- ‘Its common associates are spruce, thuja, kail, walnut, poplar, oak, acer, taxus, etc.’
- ‘A gravel path leads round the changing levels of the garden, and plants include some of the finest acers to be seen in the UK.’
- ‘The acer seems unable to make up its mind, turning a few leaves over to autumn red while still making new green leaf at the tips of its branches.’
- ‘Part of my garden consists of a patio on which I have many pots housing a selection of Japanese acers, begonias, marigolds and nasturtiums.’
From Latin, ‘maple’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.