Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Not having a head.‘an acephalous skeleton’
- ‘Thus the design may sometimes appear acephalous and at other times polycephalous (Hydra-headed).’
- 1.1Having no leader or chief.‘an acephalous society’
- ‘The resistance is largely decentralised, localised and acephalous.’
- ‘The innuendo was that female rule, if insufficiently ‘godly’, was not sacral monarchy, but was tantamount to minority or acephalous rule.’
- ‘Whereas most large centralized states surrendered after an initial confrontation and defeat, certain small, and also acephalous, polities kept up a long drawn-out military struggle against alien rule.’
- ‘The project could be described as an acephalous horde, in which there may be some person with more influence than others, but where everything is agreed in direct communication.’
- ‘From such a perspective, the acephalous Igbo and their neighbors were on the receiving end of artistic innovation.’
- ‘Reflecting the primacy of kinship bonds, tribes are resolutely egalitarian, segmental, and acephalous - to use terms favored by anthropologists.’
- ‘During the late nineteenth century in societies ranging from the acephalous to interlacustrine kingdoms, senior men bolstered their authority through a monopoly of access to locally brewed beer.’
- ‘Sierra Leone was the object of similar plunder, leaving an acephalous state in rampant disorder only to be stabilised by British Tommies.’
(typically of a hexameter beginning with a short syllable) lacking a syllable or syllables in the first foot.
Mid 18th century: via medieval Latin from Greek akephalos headless (from a- without + kephalē head) + -ous.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.