One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Several studies have found that first-generation Asian Americans experience significantly more acculturative stress than second or later generations.’
- ‘In a study of high school students enrolled in a California bilingual program, acculturative stress was significantly associated with both depression and suicidal ideation.’
- ‘The second limitation was that measures of acculturative stress, such as parent-child intergenerational conflict, were not available in our study.’
- ‘As Scheder found among mobile Mexican laborers, acculturative stress may also have played a role in Pima weight gain and increased incidence of hypertension, two factors in diabetes.’
- ‘Some of these studies have focused on acculturative stress and affect, and are therefore potentially relevant to the direct link between acculturation and occupational satisfaction, in our model.’
- ‘It appears that other stressors such as alienation, racial discrimination, and challenging life events that are not associated with acculturative stress might have a negative impact.’
- ‘It was found that adolescents' level of acculturation and acculturative stress did not appear to have a significant influence on their problem behaviors.’
- ‘In contrast, ethnic identity conflict, stemming either from acculturative stress or from adolescents' perception of racial discrimination, has a negative effect on adolescents' psychological and behavioral adjustment.’
- ‘Immigration and acculturative stresses also may have a combined effect, placing them at greater risk for psychological distress (Harris, in press).’
- ‘Indeed, previous studies have shown the negative relationship between acculturative stress and self-esteem among Hispanic youth.’
- ‘Our interpretation of the Mississippian emergence is acculturative in nature rather than adaptive (Pauketat, this issue), and it deemphasizes the importance of technology and trade as causal factors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.