Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organization promoting the introduction of exotic flora and fauna into the wild.‘he encouraged the formation of acclimatization societies and established preserves for native New Zealand birds’
- ‘A meeting of the Stranded Scientists Club was convened at the Darwin Mountains Acclimatization Society Clubrooms.’
- ‘What were known as "acclimatization societies" sprang up in every region.’
- ‘I find myself reflecting on the fact that there are 200 million starlings in this country, all descended from a few dozen birds released in 1890 by the American Acclimatization Society, which was devoted to introducing European species to America.’
- ‘In his study of pests in Australia, They All Ran Wild (1969), Eric Rolls claimed ' there was never a body of eminent men so foolishly, so vigorously, and so disastrously wrong ' as the members of acclimatisation societies.’
- ‘The trout were brought here by the acclimatisation societies and managed and funded by license fees.’
- ‘His leading interest came to be the Acclimatization Society for the introduction of foreign plants and animals.’
- ‘Acclimatisation societies were established in several Australian colonies in the mid-nineteenth century to colonise the indigenous Australian environment with exotic flora and fauna.’
- ‘The large public reserves had a similar purpose to acclimatisation societies, that of improving nature.’
- ‘Red deer were among a number of species introduced to British colonies like New Zealand in the 19 th century by "acclimatization societies."’
- ‘Dion crafted a second nonfunctional facade for The American Acclimatization Society as the gateway to his exhibition "Nature Bureaucracies" at American Fine Arts.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.