Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
However careful you try to be, it is inevitable that some unfortunate or unforeseen events will occur:‘problems like these should not occur, but accidents will happen’
- ‘Sometimes these things just happen as not even one method of contraception is 100% reliable, so accidents will happen, unfortunately!’
- ‘To have exchanged phone numbers and words would have been expected and if, as a result, Cole had ended up playing for Chelsea - well, accidents will happen.’
- ‘When you are the world's policeman, accidents will happen.’
- ‘Although accidents will happen, only we, the road users, can reduce them.’
- ‘Yes, we regret the loss of four lives, but throughout the history of war, accidents will happen, innocents will be killed.’
- ‘‘They have a structured training system but, at the end of the day, any training system run by human beings is subject to accidents, and accidents will happen,’ said Mr Brownson.’
- ‘As per the Rule - 101 in the kid book, accidents will happen.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.