Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Apparently by accident but in fact intentionally.‘it was not so easy for him to contrive to meet her accidentally on purpose’
- ‘Accordingly, she dropped her fork accidentally on purpose and gasped with false surprise.’
- ‘Was that an accident, or accidentally on purpose?’
- ‘Seriously, my last passport picture was so ugly, I used to contemplate losing the passport accidentally on purpose, to get out of ten years of having to show that monstrosity to immigration officers around the world.’
- ‘Making a quick motion, she acted like she was reaching for a piece of silverware and instead accidentally on purpose knocked over the glass so the wine spilled and the glass cracked in half.’
- ‘Somehow, possibly accidentally on purpose, this festival seems to have managed to almost totally exclude the student body.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.