Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
By chance; inadvertently.‘his gun went off accidentally’‘accidentally knocked the vase over’
fortuitously, by accident, by chance, by a mere chance, by a twist of fate, adventitiously, as luck would have it, by a fluke, flukily, coincidentally, by coincidence, serendipitouslyby a happy chance, by good fortune, by a piece of luckunexpectedlyunintentionally, inadvertently, involuntarily, unpremeditatedly, unthinkinglyunwittingly, unknowingly, unconsciously, subconsciously, unawaresby mistake, mistakenly, misguidedlyby happenstanceView synonyms
- ‘David walks over to his car, and Paul accidentally drops his car keys on the ground.’
- ‘Going home from work in Oxford last night I accidentally got on the Bristol train by mistake.’
- ‘I don't know if she accidentally picked up the phone or deliberately did that.’
- ‘However, it may have been brought about by a short circuit or a fire started accidentally by a passenger.’
- ‘How many presents have you accidentally thrown out in that pile of discarded wrapping paper this year?’
- ‘Alex gets up to go, turns around to kiss Susan, and accidentally hits her on the nose.’
- ‘One of the workers accidentally put a bag of caustic soda crystals into the tank instead of soda crystals.’
- ‘He was also left paralysed for a week after an injection to take fluid from his spine accidentally hit a nerve.’
- ‘Fire officers believe the blaze started when one of the dogs accidentally knocked the cooker hob on.’
- ‘The system will not even wipe credit cards if they are accidentally placed on the pad.’
- ‘A master of the tea ceremony in old Japan once accidentally slighted a soldier.’
- ‘It is believed the power cut was caused when a workman accidentally cut through an underground cable.’
- ‘Very drunk, he accidentally pushed her with his kit bag, knocking her off the path and into the river Cam.’
- ‘He lost his right eye two years ago when he was accidentally hit in the face with a hurley during a club game.’
- ‘I suppose everyone who worked with horses will have had their foot accidentally stepped on.’
- ‘The site was accidentally miscategorized when it was initially entered into our database.’
- ‘The fire had started accidentally when fat from the chip pan caught alight.’
- ‘The cause of the blaze is under investigation, but it is thought to have started accidentally.’
- ‘Police said it was not clear whether the gunman shot his victim deliberately or accidentally.’
- ‘Nine-year-old Tilly went missing two weeks ago after a door was accidentally left open.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.