One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hospital department concerned with the provision of immediate treatment to people who are seriously injured in an accident or who are suddenly taken seriously ill.
- ‘He first visited the radiology department before moving on to accident and emergency and a cardiac ward.’
- ‘These issues should be addressed in a setting other than the busy, pressured atmosphere of accident and emergency or acute wards.’
- ‘I cannot thank the staff of accident and emergency enough for their care of me.’
- ‘Even in accident and emergency those GP consultation models could be useful.’
- ‘Essex Rivers NHS Trust is also struggling to hit tough target treatment times in accident and emergency.’
- ‘However, more patients required accident and emergency or out of hours care.’
- ‘The patient is believed to have visited the accident and emergency department of a local hospital after feeling unwell.’
- ‘Some years ago, I worked as a senior house officer in accident and emergency.’
- ‘A police station has been set up next to the waiting room in accident and emergency at the Royal Bolton Hospital.’
- ‘An ambulance was called, and here they were in accident and emergency.’
- ‘This, however, contradicts our anecdotal impression from accident and emergency and fracture clinics.’
- ‘A 42 year old man with diabetes presented to accident and emergency with intermittent vomiting for three days.’
- ‘The boy was treated in accident and emergency before being examined by a consultant paediatrician.’
- ‘The highest number of claims are in anaesthetics, accident and emergency and obstetrics and gynaecology.’
- ‘She was rushed to Broomfield Hospital's accident and emergency but died after her breathing problems got worse.’
- ‘The driver of another car involved in the accident was taken to accident and emergency at the hospital.’
- ‘When I was a senior house officer working in accident and emergency I was asked to take a telephone call from a patient wanting advice.’
- ‘The man who was taken to hospital was discharged after receiving treatment in the accident and emergency unit.’
- ‘They dried him off as best they could and took him to accident and emergency at the Medway Maritime hospital in Gillingham.’
- ‘It is not appropriate to go to accident and emergency as an alternative to your GP.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.