One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hospital department concerned with the provision of immediate treatment to people who are seriously injured in an accident or who are suddenly taken seriously ill.
- ‘Some years ago, I worked as a senior house officer in accident and emergency.’
- ‘A police station has been set up next to the waiting room in accident and emergency at the Royal Bolton Hospital.’
- ‘The boy was treated in accident and emergency before being examined by a consultant paediatrician.’
- ‘When I was a senior house officer working in accident and emergency I was asked to take a telephone call from a patient wanting advice.’
- ‘The highest number of claims are in anaesthetics, accident and emergency and obstetrics and gynaecology.’
- ‘I cannot thank the staff of accident and emergency enough for their care of me.’
- ‘The man who was taken to hospital was discharged after receiving treatment in the accident and emergency unit.’
- ‘Essex Rivers NHS Trust is also struggling to hit tough target treatment times in accident and emergency.’
- ‘This, however, contradicts our anecdotal impression from accident and emergency and fracture clinics.’
- ‘A 42 year old man with diabetes presented to accident and emergency with intermittent vomiting for three days.’
- ‘She was rushed to Broomfield Hospital's accident and emergency but died after her breathing problems got worse.’
- ‘An ambulance was called, and here they were in accident and emergency.’
- ‘However, more patients required accident and emergency or out of hours care.’
- ‘These issues should be addressed in a setting other than the busy, pressured atmosphere of accident and emergency or acute wards.’
- ‘Even in accident and emergency those GP consultation models could be useful.’
- ‘He first visited the radiology department before moving on to accident and emergency and a cardiac ward.’
- ‘The patient is believed to have visited the accident and emergency department of a local hospital after feeling unwell.’
- ‘The driver of another car involved in the accident was taken to accident and emergency at the hospital.’
- ‘It is not appropriate to go to accident and emergency as an alternative to your GP.’
- ‘They dried him off as best they could and took him to accident and emergency at the Medway Maritime hospital in Gillingham.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.