One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The time taken to retrieve data from storage.
- ‘The next item on the checklist is the performance of the drive, in which the data transfer rate and the access time each play a key role, both of which depend directly or indirectly on the speed of rotation.’
- ‘Web browsers can then use the local Squid cache server as a proxy HTTP server, reducing access time as well as bandwidth consumption.’
- ‘When online, access time to data on tape is typically several seconds vs. milliseconds for data on magnetic disk.’
- ‘This drive housed fifty 24-inch disks, had an access time of 600 milliseconds, and a capacity of 5.0 megabytes.’
- ‘Hence, data availability is increased and access time is greatly reduced compared to offline and nearline archiving.’
- ‘The MK - 2004GAL has a 2MB buffer, spins at 4,200 rpm, and has an average access time of 15 milliseconds.’
- ‘The access time of the chips is 1.25 nanoseconds; they are rated to work at 2.0V voltage and at 800 MHz frequency.’
- ‘First, the access time for the Maxtor is a bit slower.’
- ‘Even though the UltraStar 9ZX from IBM is two years old, its access time is still pretty quick.’
- ‘The drive itself is noting out of the ordinary, but its support for Seamless Link, its fast access time, and its fast writing speed all point to a very fast drive that will be able to stop coasters from being created.’
- ‘The access time is particularly remarkable, approaching the performance of dedicated CD-ROM drives.’
- ‘We also ran the CPU utilization, access time, and transfer rate inspection tests.’
- ‘New tape drives and MTC storage systems will have innovative features to reduce access time and increase performance.’
- ‘Adding additional processors to a shared-memory multiprocessor increases the bus traffic on the system, slowing down memory access time and delaying program execution.’
- ‘Today we can buy a server with one or more 3GHz CPUs, and a number of disk drives that still get about a 5ms access time.’
- ‘The average access time with both media types is 120 milliseconds.’
- ‘In addition, at the same rotation speed, they are not any slower than SCSI models in term of data transfer performance or access time.’
- ‘Our tests indicated a maximum transfer rate over USB 2.0 of about 5.3MB per second and an average access time of 37 milliseconds.’
- ‘You can pick the RAM that has the best access time for the money, and not what some large computer manufacturer got the best deal on that week.’
- ‘The access time is in line with the parallel ATA drive, as it should be.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.