One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An educational course enabling those without traditional qualifications to become eligible for higher education.
- ‘The access course was in sociology, which was a subject I enjoyed, so I'm doing it here.’
- ‘After completing a university access course at York College, he will now go on to study computer science at Hughes Hall, Cambridge.’
- ‘The 37-year-old mother-of-three, from Limes Avenues, Pinehurst, studied for her access course using Braille and audiotapes.’
- ‘A spokesman for the college said that following an access course most students go on to study a variety of subjects at a variety of universities across the country.’
- ‘The place depends on the mother-of-three, from Limes Avenue, Pinehurst, finishing an access course at New College.’
- ‘The access course is a one year part-time evening course which provides mature students with the opportunity to prepare for an undergraduate programme of full time study.’
- ‘I did an access course, then an A level then did the degree.’
- ‘The first step into further education can be access courses at local colleges where they will sample work including bricklaying and horticulture.’
- ‘Miss Reid was allowed to stay in the country while her appeal was being heard, and after completing a three-year access course at university was given a job.’
- ‘Teresa said: ‘I agree that the access course really gave you a good idea of what to expect.’’
- ‘Twenty four students from all walks of life completed access courses the equivalent of A levels for mature students who want to go to higher education.’
- ‘Mum-of-four Angela Shepherd, 42, gave up a career in nursery nursing and underwent a two-year access course before embarking on the three-year physiotherapy degree.’
- ‘But after two years she decided to study for GCSEs at college and later - when her dyslexia was diagnosed - she took an access course, leading to an offer from the university.’
- ‘There has also been a large increase in the number of applications for the adult access course which started off with 12 students.’
- ‘A part-time access course which is designed for mature students who have a desire to study at third level but whose background, education and economic circumstances have prevented them from achieving this goal is now on offer.’
- ‘She took a one-year access course and is now three years into a Bachelor of Education course at Jordanhill.’
- ‘Yesterday was the first day at college for Annette Stock, 41, as she started an access course as a step to becoming a full-time nurse.’
- ‘Septuagenarian Josephine began with a university access course at Newry College of Further Education followed by a primary degree at Queen's.’
- ‘A foundation access course for adults wishing to return to education will commence at Athlone Institute of Technology in September.’
- ‘Application forms are available for an access course in St Angelas College for mature applicants.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.