One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for measuring the acceleration of a moving or vibrating body.
- ‘In addition, NASA's second redesigned tank has been outfitted with temperature sensors and accelerometers, used to measure vibration.’
- ‘The accelerometer is used to measure shocks and vibration caused by road roughness while the GPS unit records the truck position.’
- ‘The physical activity tests were validated using electronic accelerometers to measure levels of activity minute by minute.’
- ‘Other devices include oxygen sensors to check exhaust gases, accelerometers to detect any sudden sharp braking, and a range of pressure and temperature monitors.’
- ‘A small sensor, the accelerometer, placed nearby then detects the sound waves and analyses their acoustic signature.’
- ‘For example, sensors called accelerometers - which are used to cue airbags to deploy - can detect changes in speed and direction.’
- ‘An accelerometer was placed on one arm to measure gross body movements.’
- ‘The IMU consists of two main sensor types: gyroscopes or ‘gyros’ to measure angular rates and accelerometers to measure velocity rates.’
- ‘They were instructed to wear the accelerometer during all waking hours, to carry out their usual activities, and not to remove the device except for bathing and sleep.’
- ‘To detect hard braking or cornering, the system uses an accelerometer that detects high g-forces on the vehicle.’
- ‘A monitoring system, including tension sensors, accelerometers, and deformation gauges, will be put in place for purposes of bridge maintenance.’
- ‘Additional accelerometers can measure the vehicle's linear accelerations and angular acceleration about the spin axis.’
- ‘Accelerations were measured using accelerometers mounted rigidly to the vehicle and connected to a data logger.’
- ‘After vibration data is measured using the accelerometer and converted into digital format, they are then stored in a computer.’
- ‘For more rigorous demonstration of the forces involved, Dial also used two accelerometers to measure the acceleration in the forward and vertical directions.’
- ‘The speed and force pattern of the club head was measured by a miniature accelerometer attached to the club head.’
- ‘In a passenger car, a linear accelerometer located near the front axle measures higher lateral acceleration than in the center or rear side.’
- ‘More recently, physical activity has been objectively measured through the deployment of accelerometers that are calibrated to monitor activity levels by the minute.’
- ‘One unit malfunctioned due to failure of one of the three internal accelerometers during a measurement period at home, and the subject was retested with another device.’
- ‘The researchers then attached motion recorders - small accelerometers measuring how often and vigorously a limb moves - to the dominant leg and arm of each child.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.