One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small deep-bodied freshwater fish native to Central and South America, having elongated dorsal and anal fins.
- ‘We used the blue acara cichlid as a model diurnal predator species.’
- ‘They definitely live with silver dollars, blue acaras, silver sharks, and unicorn cichlids.’
- ‘There were some blue acaras and some convicts as well as some livebearers.’
- ‘In the present study we experimentally reduced brood size in the Panamanian acara, Aequidens coeruleopunctatus.’
- ‘I am interested in eartheaters, acaras, pikes and cichlisomine cichlids.’
- ‘It was formerly known as Aequidens paraguayensis, A. vittata, and most recently put into the genus Burjuquina like many of the medium body size acaras.’
- ‘We had a tank with 2 blue acaras, 1 severum and 1 firemouth and had no problems but the texas cic can be very aggressive.’
- ‘They do best with oscars, blue acaras, juruparis etc. if they are going to be housed with any other cichlids.’
- ‘Maybe if you wanted to have more fish and movement, you could get some blue acaras?’
- ‘If kept as a single specimen you can keep them in a species community with other cichlids such as jack dempseys, green terrors, blue acaras, rainbows, etc, etc.’
- ‘Rams can be quite shy and may be bullied out of space and food when the acaras get bigger.’
- ‘Like among the blue acaras, firemouth males have more pointed and longer fins than the females.’
- ‘In February 2000 two additional exotic species had become established: the South American blue acara and a potential cross between African Lake Malawi cichlids Labeotropheus sp. and Pseudotropheus zebra.’
- ‘Well I have given the blue acaras away and didn't take any pics of them spawning to send you.’
- ‘The blue acara is an easy fish to care for, and a suitable addition to community tanks of medium to large fish.’
From Portuguese acaré, from Tupi.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.