Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small phylum of parasitic invertebrates that comprises the thorny-headed worms.
- ‘Nielsen and Nielsen et al. come to generally comparable results, although sometimes the additional taxa Rotifera, Acanthocephala and Chaetognatha were included in Aschelminthes.’
- ‘The dotted line with a question mark denotes the suggestion of Ahlrichs that Acanthocephala and Seisonida are sister groups.’
- ‘Although the ICL has little taxonomic significance, it is synapomorphic with phylum Acanthocephala, indicating a close phylogenetic relationship.’
- ‘Because the new taxon lacks syncytia, a key character for the Rotifera and Acanthocephala, the Micrognathozoa cannot be included in Syndermata.’
- ‘However, the relationship between Rotifera and Acanthocephala has not been resolved.’
- ‘An earlier study using morphological evidence hypothesized that Acanthocephala is the sister taxon of the rotifer class Bdelloidea, making Rotifera paraphyletic.’
- ‘Limnognathia maerski has dorsal plates formed by an intracellular matrix, as in Rotifera and Acanthocephala, but ventrally the epidermis is ‘naked’ only with a thin glycocalyx.’
- ‘Like the Acanthocephala, they are probably evil rotifers.’
- ‘Micrognathozoa lack this characteristic feature and, therefore, are postulated to be more basal in the Gnathifera, as a sister-group either to Gnathostomulida or Rotifera / Acanthocephala.’
- ‘The sister - group relationship between Gnathostomulida and Rotifera + Acanthocephala was first mentioned by Rieger and Tyler.’
- ‘Also, within Acanthocephala there have been multiple shifts between aquatic and terrestrial intermediate and definitive hosts.’
- ‘Significant amounts of character loss versus character innovation is expected if the evolution of parasitism in Acanthocephala is truly ‘degenerative.’’
- ‘Rotifera and Acanthocephala comprise a monophyletic group with high bootstrap pseudoreplicate recovery and decay score.’
- ‘The shift between aquatic and terrestrial hosts in Acanthocephala is probably driven by availability of appropriate arthropod intermediate hosts in the particular habitat.’
- ‘Traditionally, the taxonomic groups in Acanthocephala have been identified based on morphological features and host characteristics.’
- ‘The remaining members of this novel metazoan clade were Rotifera, Acanthocephala (together Syndermata), and Cycliophora.’
- ‘However, our molecular data show they may be related to Rotifers + Acanthocephala inside the taxon Gnathifera.’
- ‘Perversely, they failed to include any sequences from rotifers, gnathostomulids, chaetognaths, or, in fact, anything that might actually be comparable to Acanthocephala.’
- ‘The 18S rRNA inferred phylogeny provides a framework to investigate the evolutionary diversification of features associated with parasitism in Acanthocephala.’
Modern Latin (plural), from acantho- ‘thornlike’ + Greek kephalē head.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.