Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small phylum of parasitic invertebrates that comprises the thorny-headed worms.
- ‘Rotifera and Acanthocephala comprise a monophyletic group with high bootstrap pseudoreplicate recovery and decay score.’
- ‘Like the Acanthocephala, they are probably evil rotifers.’
- ‘The dotted line with a question mark denotes the suggestion of Ahlrichs that Acanthocephala and Seisonida are sister groups.’
- ‘Micrognathozoa lack this characteristic feature and, therefore, are postulated to be more basal in the Gnathifera, as a sister-group either to Gnathostomulida or Rotifera / Acanthocephala.’
- ‘Because the new taxon lacks syncytia, a key character for the Rotifera and Acanthocephala, the Micrognathozoa cannot be included in Syndermata.’
- ‘Traditionally, the taxonomic groups in Acanthocephala have been identified based on morphological features and host characteristics.’
- ‘However, our molecular data show they may be related to Rotifers + Acanthocephala inside the taxon Gnathifera.’
- ‘Although the ICL has little taxonomic significance, it is synapomorphic with phylum Acanthocephala, indicating a close phylogenetic relationship.’
- ‘An earlier study using morphological evidence hypothesized that Acanthocephala is the sister taxon of the rotifer class Bdelloidea, making Rotifera paraphyletic.’
- ‘Also, within Acanthocephala there have been multiple shifts between aquatic and terrestrial intermediate and definitive hosts.’
- ‘Perversely, they failed to include any sequences from rotifers, gnathostomulids, chaetognaths, or, in fact, anything that might actually be comparable to Acanthocephala.’
- ‘Limnognathia maerski has dorsal plates formed by an intracellular matrix, as in Rotifera and Acanthocephala, but ventrally the epidermis is ‘naked’ only with a thin glycocalyx.’
- ‘The shift between aquatic and terrestrial hosts in Acanthocephala is probably driven by availability of appropriate arthropod intermediate hosts in the particular habitat.’
- ‘The remaining members of this novel metazoan clade were Rotifera, Acanthocephala (together Syndermata), and Cycliophora.’
- ‘The 18S rRNA inferred phylogeny provides a framework to investigate the evolutionary diversification of features associated with parasitism in Acanthocephala.’
- ‘Nielsen and Nielsen et al. come to generally comparable results, although sometimes the additional taxa Rotifera, Acanthocephala and Chaetognatha were included in Aschelminthes.’
- ‘Significant amounts of character loss versus character innovation is expected if the evolution of parasitism in Acanthocephala is truly ‘degenerative.’’
- ‘The sister - group relationship between Gnathostomulida and Rotifera + Acanthocephala was first mentioned by Rieger and Tyler.’
- ‘However, the relationship between Rotifera and Acanthocephala has not been resolved.’
Modern Latin (plural), from acantho- ‘thornlike’ + Greek kephalē head.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.