Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In an extremely bad way; appallingly.‘she treats me abysmally at times’as submodifier ‘the conviction rate is abysmally low’
- ‘It is a city about which I was abysmally ignorant.’
- ‘Real economic profits nowadays play an abysmally insignificant role toward dictating economic expansion.’
- ‘This band performs admirably on one track and abysmally on the subsequent ten.’
- ‘Farmers are forced to accept abysmally low prices for their products.’
- ‘It has performed abysmally, and the only explanation that can be advanced is that of incompetent economic management.’
- ‘I can't tell you how many times I have congratulated myself on a multiple pirouette, only to have the next several fail abysmally.’
- ‘There is no denying the abysmally low voter turnout rate.’
- ‘They also said they were treated abysmally when they complained.’
- ‘It is abysmally hot in the rooms of this hotel.’
- ‘They have failed abysmally in responding to that.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.