Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Trained medical record abstractors reviewed charts to verify all relevant clinical diagnoses.’
- ‘There are abstractors, including Meridian Energy, that would divert water to another catchment or into storage, and there are those who value the water in-stream.’
- ‘Data abstractors scrutinized the records to determine if a subject had been convicted of a new crime during the 24-month observation window.’
- ‘He said: ‘We will be consulting fully with angling clubs, water abstractors and other waterway users.’’
- ‘Even when they are, researchers must try to control for variations in quality; author-supplied abstracts, for example, are frequently less systematic or structured than those written by professional abstractors.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.