Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Other important influences came from his friendship with the French artist, Jean Dubuffet, and the American abstract expressionist, Jackson Pollock.’
- ‘You had a kind of confidence, it sounds to me, that gave you the courage to begin to expand, to transfer some of the methods of the surrealist and abstract expressionist artists into the poetry.’
- ‘For his inaugural show, Mokoena exhibited a series of abstract expressionist paintings by Roger Botembe, a well-known figure from Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of Congo.’
- ‘Fresh out of the Art Institute in Chicago in the late '50s, his work was primarily abstract expressionist.’
- ‘The second work you see is a pair of paintings by the doomy abstract expressionist Barnett Newman, his rightly celebrated Adam and Eve, from 1950-52.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.