One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
temperance, abstinence, austerity, moderation, plain living, simple living, self-discipline, self-denial, renunciation, restraint, self-restraint, self-deprivation, sobriety, asceticism, puritanism, severity, self-abnegation, continenceView synonyms
- ‘That is not to suggest that I am a model of abstemiousness who has never made an idiot of himself after five too many.’
- ‘We only had four bottles of wine - due to the wine service rather than any abstemiousness on our part.’
- ‘Jake made up for any parental abstemiousness though.’
- ‘It turns out Fields was a huge admirer of hers, but their approaches to comedy, and life, were poles apart - Fields being a master of excess and West a paragon of abstemiousness.’
- ‘He does not seem to smoke or drink, although he has downplayed his abstemiousness since joining the drinks group.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.