One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The government sent 30,000 troops and 20,000 police officers into the Altiplano region, home to many of the Indigenous peasants who were crucial to last October's rebellion, in a clear attempt to intimidate potential abstainers.’
- ‘In thousands of middle-aged Danish men with high cholesterol, moderate drinkers had 50 percent less risk of developing heart disease from blocked arteries than abstainers.’
- ‘The Electoral Commission's postmortem examination into the 17 million abstainers found that they complained of a campaign ‘at best lacklustre and at worst negative in tone and too stage-managed’ - the money had made it worse.’
- ‘If Mr Horam's fate does not hinge on Tory abstainers coming out to vote this time, it could depend on how much more the Lib Dems can squeeze the 5,500-strong Labour vote.’
- ‘The real winners of the 2001 election were the abstainers, with 41% of the poll.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.